Alex Ovechkin Is Overrated According to Sports Illustrated Poll
It wasn’t too long ago when Washington Capitals left winger Alex Ovechkin was considered the NHL’s best player. Well, at least in the eyes of casual fans and respected hockey pundits. Three consecutive seasons scoring over 100 points and a pair of Hart Trophies will do that for a guy. However, according to a Sports Illustrated players poll, Ovechkin’s peers don’t think much of him. They call him overrated.
On the bright side, he didn’t place first in the poll, so he’s got that going for him. Here’s the Top 10:
1. Dion Phaneuf, Toronto Maple Leafs D 20%
2. Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals LW 8%
3. Scott Gomez, Montreal Canadiens C 6%
4. Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks G 6%
5. Dany Heatley, Minnesota Wild LW 4%
6. Ilya Kovalchuk, New Jersey Devils
7. Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa Bay Lightning
8. Jay Bouwmeester, Calgary Flames
9. Ryan Kesler, Vancouver Canucks
10. Mike Komisarek, Toronto Maple Leafs
Geesh, players really don’t like Dion Phaneuf. By a wide margin. It could be his “dirty” reputation, jealousy that he’s still banging Elisha Cuthbert or the fact he totally sucked from 2009 to 2011.
As for Ovechkin, he’s on pace to score under 40 goals for a second straight season and set a career low for assists. I dunno about overrated but he’s definitely underachieving.
[h/t Puck Daddy]